Wednesday, June 21, 2006

this elk was staring at me...



at the family reunion in Fredricksburg. We stayed at the Country Inn Cottages, a 200 acre ranch about 10 minutes from town. I'm not sure what kind of elk it is, but I think it came from Wyoming. There are about a dozen they keep as pets along with countless deer, cattle, and some peacocks.

I snapped these photos as the fog rolled by early in the morning.





We were told the elk were nice and would just hang around. There is one they said to keep an eye on as she ruled the ranch and the other elk. Apparently she is not scared of humans. If I was a 500+ pound animal I would not be afraid of an unarmed human either! I'll pass on that wrestling match. One evening the whole family was standing around enjoying the natural beauty of these large creatures. I was trying to get as close as possible to take some pictures. She decided that 15 feet was close enough. I don't think she wanted me to pet her as she came walking towards me. Her name is 14N...


1 comment:

Cursief Huigje said...

Very beautiful snapshots!