Thursday, April 20, 2006

I bought some goldfish...

for my son's new fish tank. His Crawdaddy & Mitzi (they live in Louisiana) used to have a ton of fish! He would breed them for the local pet shops for store credit... so he could buy more fish...so he could breed them...and get more store credit...so he could buy more fish...so he could breed them...OK, I'm getting dizzy.

When Coan had surgery earlier this year (hernias, ouch!) there were these HUGE fish tanks full of goldfish at Children's Hospital. He stood there and watched them, amazed at how many there were. Soon after that I mentioned that I wanted to get him a fish tank since he really enjoyed the ones at the hospital. Crawdaddy had an extra 10 gallon tank and supplies in his garage, so we brought it back on our last visit.

After getting the tank all set up with water running for the time required, Coan and I made the trip to Petsmart for the goldfish! They are apparently good at "seasoning" the tank and they don't cost much. We got a Mommy fish, a Daddy fish, and 4 baby fishes! The perfect pet fish family. It's been 3 weeks since we started the tank with the 6 happy little swimmers.



And then there was one.

The winner is......Daddy fish!! I was told to expect 2-3 of them to ride the great tidy bowl wave into everlasting eternity while the tank water adjusted. I should have known better. I had a fish tank when I was in high school that I managed to somehow turn into a fish graveyard. I finally gave up when I took the tank to college and came home from my sister's wedding to find beer cans in it. I still don't know what happened to the fish. My roommates probably ate them because they ran out of couch cushion change and couldn't buy any Taco Bell. I would not have thought of them as sushi, but maybe that's how they do it in Lubbock.

Hopefully Daddy fish will make it so I don't have to drain the tank and start all over.

No comments: