Saturday, August 11, 2007

Woody, Boo, and the Tiger

Watching golf today was the best thing I could have done after a night of minimal sleep. Golf on TV doesn't require you to pay much attention and your brain can doze in and out of consciousness without you actually being aware of it. Rapid thoughts running through your head come to a dead stop while watching golf. I like that sometimes.

As you can probably guess by the title of this blog, I love golf. I love to read about golf, watch golf on TV, and play golf with my son, my Dad, my father-in-law, and my friends. I wish I could play more often. One day I will be retired and will play golf three times a week or more like my Grandpa did. Since I was a little kid, my Grandpa was retired and living on the 16th green of a country club. Every time we came to Austin to visit we always ended up on the course. When I was younger I rode in the cart and watched my Dad and him play. As I got older he let me drive the cart and play along. One of my fondest memories is running down from his backyard to putt on the 16th green before the next round of golfers came up.

Today at the PGA Championship, Tiger Woods again held the lead. Yesterday I talked to my sister in Tulsa, OK, and she said my brother-in-law and my nephew were out at Southern Hills Country Club for the second round following Tiger around. What a great day to watch him play, too. He shot a 63 and almost set another record with a 62, but his putt went in the hole and rolled out. The whole world with the exception of the players trying to catch him, all said, "Awwwww!"

After today's round I switched over to The Golf Channel to catch the interviews with the players. All of the reporters asked the players about Tiger and how they planned on playing their game tomorrow. They asked them what it is about Tiger that makes him so hard to beat. Woody Austin was one of those players and he basically said that Tiger's competitive drive is what makes him control the game. He doesn't like to lose. His concentration along with the skills he brings to the golf course propel him farther than most players can fathom.

One of my favorite interviews (and now one of my favorite golfers) was with Boo Weekley. He is a funny man with a respectful attitude about his job as a professional golfer. He wants to play for ten or twelve more years until he has enough money in the bank. Boo said he loves the game but would rather spend more time with his family and going fishing.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of Thomas Brent "Boo" Weekley and Woody Austin. Of course, it's always fun to watch Tiger Woods play. He makes me pump my fist every time he birdies, and that's a lot of fist pumping.

The FedEx Cup is on the horizon. I better get my fist ready.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Huh? oh yea...golf. Won't they all be shocked when they find out the secret to tiger's wins is weed. good old fashioned doobies.

am I making that up? just wait and see.

as for me? I've been to the driving range, but never on the course. I've owned clubs for about 90 years.